Managing Editor – The Star of Zion
(Part-time position) The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
The Star of Zion (“The SOZ”) is an award winning newspaper and journalistic media organization, published by The A.M.E. Zion Church as its official organ since 1876. Being guided by the core values of truth, faith, and love, the Star seeks to raise the consciousness of readers with news that is current, relevant, and dependable.
Key Responsibilities: The Managing Editor of The Star of Zion supports the vision of the Editor In Chief by managing teams of writers/journalists, editors, and graphic designers; monitoring the results of various content campaigns; and editing content pieces to ensure they follow tone and style guides.
● Regularly engages and communicates with the news media, church leadership, and general public, conducting him or herself with the utmost professionalism on behalf of the The SOZ while abiding by the core values identified within the mission statement found at: www.StarofZion.org
● Oversees various teams to ensure their pieces promote the brand in a positive and engaging way
● Manages the monthly processes effectively, so that all deadlines are met and the quality of the product is excellent
○ including but not limited to prompt monthly delivery of The SOZ in both print and digital
● Manages and updates The SOZ website, social media and digital footprint on a daily basis
● Utilizes analytical tools to monitor different campaigns’ progress and to build strategies to improve their content according to these results
● Conducts research on the target audiences of The SOZ to determine the best ways to reach and engage them
● Partners with the leadership team to determine the style guide, brand voice, and tone they want to follow and edits content pieces to ensure they meet these standards. Also provides revisions on content pieces to ensure they meet certain publishing guidelines
● Supervises subscription department to ensure effective distribution
● Partners with advertising representatives of The SOZ and AMEZTV to ensure a growing revenue stream for the Communications Department
● Collaborates with Editor in Chief and category editors to create and produce Star of Zion content to be used for AMEZTV
● Strong editing, reporting, and writing skills, including adherence to AP Style guidelines
● Ability to manage teams in order to produce quality content in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines
● Strong leader and self-starter, with a detail-oriented mindset
● Ability to communicate adeptly and professionally with A.M.E. Zion leadership, outside organizations, and your own team of editors and reporters
● High school or equivalent required; Bachelor of Arts Degree preferred
● Proficiency in appropriate software including: Microsoft Office 365, and Apple iOs
● Valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance
Relationships: The Managing Editor reports to the Editor in Chief. The Managing Editor’s direct reports include the category editors, layout and graphic design teams, and ads department.
Compensation: Anticipated salary range of $20,000-$25,0000, dependent on experience.
This position is based in Charlotte, NC, with a partially remote/hybrid schedule as a negotiable option. Schedule: 25 hours/week with flexible hours
Qualified applicants are invited to share a resume and cover letter with Mr. Darin Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org. Other inquiries about the position are also welcome.